Pages

June 16, 2011

Whole-Wheat Sweet Potato Coconut Muffins


My husband and I have been working out since after Easter.  We run a few miles and strength train 6 days a week.  We've also changed what and how we eat.  It was rough for me in the beginning but I'm okay with everything now.  I can say that my endurance has increased tenfold.

My husband has lost twenty pounds!! Hurray for him!! I have lost ZERO pounds.  It's not a typo. After busting my ass for the last six or so weeks, I have lost NOTHING! I admit, I am not 100% compliant with eating as I should, but to lose nothing????? Ridiculous!!


Anyway, my husband sent me the link to these muffins.  They are supposed to be perfect as a pre-workout breakfast.  These are so good, I don't think they'll make it to our next workout session.  I did make some changes to the original. They are moist and delicious.
recipe after the jump




WHOLE-WHEAT SWEET POTATO COCONUT MUFFINS RECIPE
Adapted from Marcus Samuelsson
Makes 12 muffins ( I got 14)
½ cup melted unsalted butter, more for greasing tins
2½ cups whole-wheat flour
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup mashed or pureed sweet potato (I boiled a sweet potato then mashed)
½ cup dried, unsweetened coconut
1 egg, beaten
½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a 12-cup muffin tin. In a large bowl, sift to combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sweet potato, coconut, egg, and yogurt. Fold wet mixture into dry mixture until just combined.
2. Fill muffin tins; bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until muffins are puffed and turning golden brown on top. Serve warm.
Muffins will keep in a covered container for up to 2 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment