Pages

January 1, 2010

African Diaspora Reading Reading Challenge 2010


I happened upon this challenge by BrownGirl Speaks, and decided to participate.  I haven't been much of a reader in 2009. I used to love reading.  But like many other things, I allowed life to get in the way.  I'm hoping this will get me back into books again.

Here's the jist of it from BrownGirl Speaks:
The African diaspora speaks mainly to the dispersion of African descendants in the Americas and Europe due to the Atlantic slave trade…..So, for this challenge, books read will be by Black authors and set in Africa, North America, South America, Central America, Caribbean Islands, and Europe.

Now, for guidelines:
*This challenge will run from January 1, 2010-December 31, 2010
*Crossovers are allowed
*Fiction and nonfiction hard copies or e-books from any genre (no audio books)
*Participants should visit different geographical regions in their reading (i.e. not all African American or Afro-Brit or Haitian or any one group representing the diaspora)
*Levels of participation
Novice: commitment to read four (4) books
Versed: commitment to read eight (8) books
Scholar: commitment to read twelve (12) books

For more info, go to BrownGirl Speaks

I've decided to go in the Novice category. Only four books, i know.  But I want to start slow.  I hope to read more. 
These are my first two:
1.  White Teeth by Zadie Smith. It's been sitting on my bookshelf  for years.  I started reading it but never finished.
2.  If They Come in the Morning by Angela Davis.  I got this from my dad's collection after he passed away but never got to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment