Pages

August 15, 2011

Away From Home

My sister, niece, daughter and I drove from Florida to Iowa last week.  Both my daughter and niece are attending college in Iowa and we had to get a trailer to haul all of my niece's belongings.  I took pictures along the way, but I left my camera cord at home (doh!).  We passed through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and Illinois before arriving in Iowa. It took 23 hrs. of driving and one night in a hotel.

We've been in Iowa City for a week now and De's pretty much settled in.
She's registered for her classes, ordered most of her books, opened a bank account and gotten a phone. She only needs school supplies as we bought everything she needed for the apartment already.  

The apartment btw, is very nice. For an apartment complex that caters to college kids, you would expect the apartment to not be as nice as it is.  They have a free shuttle to/from the campus.  We are going tomorrow on a test run. I'm pleased.

I can't believe I have three weeks left here. I am so surprised at how much I miss home. There have been quiet moments where I just yearn to be home with my husband and son.  However, I know that it will be so hard for me to leave De. But alas, I must.

De starts classes on the 22nd, so I will be left alone during the day.  I have to use the time to get my son's curriculum together.  The focus has been on De, so I haven't ordered anything for him. I will also use the time to focus on me.  I know that I need to make some changes within myself and hopefully all of this alone time will help me chart a course for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment