Pages

September 17, 2011

I Lost My Mojo!!!



I'm known as "The Queen of Pancakes" in this house. Everyone eagerly anticipates my pancakes on Saturday mornings with excitement.  I could make plain, banana, blueberry, oatmeal....anything.  They were always delicious and satisfying.


Then I passed on my recipe...to my husband.  I was away from home helping my daughter settle in for college, and the little one asked for pancakes.  I sent my husband the recipe.  It was his first time ever in his 40+ years on this earth that he ever made pancakes...ever!!  They were a hit.  Such a hit that the little one said that I MUST taste Daddy's pancakes.  He raved and raved.


I came home and the little one continued to rave about these pancakes that my husband made ONCE in his life. "Oh Mummy, let Daddy make the pancakes!"  But I told him that I would like to cook for him since I'm home now.  I got back into the kitchen, prepared my recipe, lit the stove and proceeded to make my pancakes.  


They were "eh".


I didn't understand.  Why weren't they light and fluffy? Why do they look like flat discs?  I assumed that I didn't put in enough baking powder.   They were edible, but they weren't "Mine".
The next weekend, I offer to make pancakes again, determined to do better than the previous weekend. Again, I prepared, lit and proceeded to make my pancakes. And again, they weren't light and fluffy but flat.  Too little baking powder, that has to be it! I decided to mix another batch, this time with more baking powder.  


And again, Flat. Not only flat, but flat and heavy!
WTH! Why?!! I am the Queen of Pancakes!


Pancakes were MY thing. Now the kid only wants pancakes from Daddy (ugghh). I have come to the conclusion that I have lost my Pancake Mojo. 
I understand now why some people don't like sharing recipes.  Once you share them, you lose everything that made it special.  These were my special pancakes and now they're gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment