Pages

June 1, 2010

I've Become One of Them.....

Grandmother by Laura James
The relative you send your kids to for the summer.

I never thought I would reach this milestone.  I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that.  Usually, you send your kids to Grandma's or Auntie Mame's.  They're old and jolly, they bake cookies and make jam.  They enjoy the sweet song of children's laughter and excuse screams and tantrums as "the kids expressing themselves".  They give lots of hugs and kisses and keep candy in their pockets.

So how did I get here? I am neither old nor jolly.  I don't make jam (although I've always wanted to), but I do bake cookies. I do not tolerate screaming or tantrums, because then I will have to "express myself".  And there are times when children's laughter equates to noise for me.

I'm not a grinch really.  I like kids, even my own sometimes.  Their cute and full of possibility.  They enjoy the little things that we adults have taken for granted.  They love to explore and play and laugh.  They fear nothing, except dogs and haircuts. They can make friends in a room full of strangers within five minutes.    They see things as they are.  They aren't tainted by life experiences.  They give hugs freely and wear their hearts on their sleeves. 

They don't seem so bad when you look at it that way.  Maybe five kids all under the age of ten will be good for me.  A renewed vigour and outlook on life!  We'll laugh, play, explore and give hugs freely! 
Ehhh....I don't know...maybe...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment