Pages

June 28, 2010

Apple Struedel Muffins

Apples have been on sale for a few months now. At first, the apples were sweet and crunchy. Just the perfect snack. But lately, the apples haven't been their best. I kept purchasing them hoping to get some good crunchy apples, but with no luck. As a result, no one's eating them and the apples have piled up. I couldn't throw them away. I started my search for recipes using apples.

The recipe had to have ingredients that I already had on hand. Applesauce? Nah....Apple Pie? No refrigerated crust (not brave enough to make one either)....Apple Juice? Not Pretty.....Apple Muffins? YES.....Why not? They're simple enough.
I found an Apple Muffin recipe, but while going over the ingredients, I noticed that it was made with butter. I had butter on hand, but I have this thing when it comes to muffin recipes. I believe that muffins are not made with butter. I should not have to cream butter and sugar. I'll be making a cake or cupcake doing that, not muffins. I wanted real authentic muffins.
That's when I remembered that I had a tried and true muffin recipe stored on my computer. I want to say that I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com, but I really can't remember. I've had the recipe since July 2008. The original recipe is a basic muffin mix. I made a few modifications to make it an Apple Struedel recipe. 

They turned out great.  Perfect with a cup of tea or coffee.

Apple Struedel Muffins (makes a little more than a dozen)
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup grated apple 
Struedel Topping: 
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  1. Stir together the flour, baking powder, spices, salt and sugar in a large bowl.Make a well in the center.
  2. In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil.
  3. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy.
  4. Fold in grated apple. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups.
  5. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Linked To:
Blessed With Grace


 

No comments:

Post a Comment